User Login

Entering a Non-Carnet Country

Can an ATA Carnet be useful for temporary imports into a non-carnet country?

An ATA Carnet serves two purposes when going to a carnet country:

  • registration of the goods leaving the U.S. and duty-free re-entry to the U.S. and,
  • import duty- and tax-free entry into the foreign country.

An ATA Carnet serves one (guaranteed) purpose when going to a non-carnet country:

When traveling to a non-carnet country, the ATA Carnet can only be guaranteed to serve as the registration of goods leaving and re-entering the U.S. However, there is proof of carnets being accepted in non-carnet countries such as, the Philippines, Malawi, Aruba and Viet Nam.  So acceptance of the carnet in a non-carnet country isn't guaranteed but is possible.

An ATA Carnet will always assist in bringing goods back into the U.S. after traveling abroad in lieu of Customs Form 4455, U.S. Registration of Goods.  Use it in place of registering your goods with U.S. Customs.  Present your Carnet to U.S. Customs and have it validated prior to departure.  This serves as verification that all your goods originated in the U.S. without the need to fill out additional paperwork. The goods will re-enter the U.S. duty-free.

Entering a non-ATA Carnet country without official documentation, such as a Carnet, can create problems and delays that may have an adverse effect on your travel schedule and plans.  However, when traveling to a non-carnet country with a carnet it is advisable to have a contingency plan in the event the carnet is not accepted as proof of temporary importation.

For more advice or with a question about a specific travel itinerary and the use of carnets please contact the boomerang carnets® Carnet HelpLine®  at (800)ATA-2900 / (800)282-2900.